To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
AstraZeneca’s candidate, AZD1222, is viewed as a frontrunner in a global race to deliver an effective vaccine to combat the virus.Australia had announced in August that it planned to buy AZD1222, along with an agreement of intent from CSL to manufacture it. That plan was thrown into some doubt when CSL announced shortly afterward that it would prioritize the manufacture of its own vaccine.Morrison’s announcement on Monday that Australia would also purchase the CSL drug if trials proved successful appeared to be the culmination of a deal to get both vaccines across the line.The CSL vaccine is due to begin second stage clinical trials in late 2020, meaning the earliest it could hit the market would be mid-2021. “By securing the production and supply agreements, Australians will be among the first in the world to receive a safe and effective vaccine, should it pass late stage testing,” Morrison said in an emailed statement.Should both vaccines pass clinical trials, Australia will spend A$1.7 billion ($1.24 billion) for a total of nearly 85 million doses, Morrison said.The agreement came as Australia’s Victoria state said 41 cases of COVID-19 have been detected in the past 24 hours, the lowest single-day rise since June 26.Australia’s second most populous state has been the epicentre of a second wave, and now accounts for about 75% of the country’s 26,320 cases and 90% of its 762 deaths.The southeastern state on Sunday extended a hard lockdown in its capital Melbourne until Sept. 28 as the daily infection rates had declined more slowly than hoped.Job lossesThe extension of the lockdown in Melbourne is expected to fuel further job losses. The national Treasury Department said the original six-week lockdown had already cost Victoria around 250,000 jobs, or half the total recorded by the state since the pandemic began.Federal Treasurer Josh Frydenberg on Monday announced Australia would extend its temporary insolvency and bankruptcy protection rules until the end of this year, barring creditors cannot issue bankruptcy notices to businesses for debts below A$20,000. Australia expects to receive its first batches of a potential COVID-19 vaccine in January, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said on Monday, as the number of new daily infections in the country’s virus hotspot fell to a 10-week low.Morrison said his government has struck a deal with CSL Ltd to manufacture two vaccines – one developed by rival AstraZeneca and Oxford University, and another developed in CSL’s own labs with the University of Queensland.Morrison said Australia will in January and February 2021 receive 3.8 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, which is currently undergoing late-stage clinical trials in Britain, Brazil and South Africa, in January and February last year. Topics :
Promoted ContentBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s HystericalBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made6 Incredibly Strange Facts About HurricanesTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldWho’s The Best Car Manufacturer Of All Time?The Models Of Paintings Whom The Artists Were Madly In Love With10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do7 African Actresses With Thick Skin Who Got Famous In Hollywood5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks9 Great Actors Who Will Always Be Defined By One RoleMost Appreciated First Ladies In The History Of America The 23-year-old is on the Premier League duo’s radars after another stunning season in which he has already bagged 25 goals in just 28 games. Chelsea and Manchester United have been handed a summer transfer boost as £68million target Timo Werner has admitted that he is open to moving to the Premier League.Advertisement This exceptional form has fuelled RB Leipzig’s challenge at the top of the Bundesliga, in which they sit just one point behind leaders Bayern Munich.And the German international will have the chance to impress on English soil later this month, when his side face Tottenham Hotspur in the Champions League round of 16.The likes of Chelsea, Liverpool and Man Utd are believed to be keen, and on interest from the Premier League, Werner told Kicker: “What do you say if a club comes knocking in the next two weeks, a club which is one of the favourites to win the Champions League and makes an incredible offer?“Most likely every player would think about it. I can generally imagine playing abroad one day, although I don’t have any specific club where I want to be.“I am open for everything. I was over in America for a holiday recently and English football was on all of the time. That’s an exclamation mark for the Premier League.“But there are also big, famous clubs and it would certainly be fun playing there.”The former Stuttgart forward was coy on his future, however, and is not in any rush to leave Leipzig immediately.He continued: “When you score 20 goals as a 23-year-old in a season then, of course, there is interest, that’s clear.“But, right now, I am not thinking about what happens in the future. We are going into many important games. That’s what I want to focus on now. I can still contemplate my future later.” Read Also: Man United Move: It is now Eagles need Ighalo, RohrChelsea in particular are chasing a forward, having missed out on recruiting one in the January transfer window.Lyon’s Moussa Dembele is another primary target.Manchester United, meanwhile, raised eyebrows on Deadline Day with the loan acquisition of former Watford striker Odion Ighalo.FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading…
Press Association The 42-year-old former Sunderland and Ipswich boss had been out of the game since January 2011 when he got the call from O’Neill, and he revealed the offer to work with his country once again was one he could not refuse. Keane said: “I know people think I am a little bit crazy, but I would have been crazy to have turned it down, it was just too good an opportunity. He said: “We have signed a contract for the next couple of years, and that’s the focus. “It’s always dangerous to sign any kind of contract thinking of some sort of get-out or what might happen further down the road. That’s not in the mindset.” Keane is confident he can improve the players in the Ireland squad, and particularly the midfielders, although he was mystified by reports that he had told former international Ray Houghton that there are bigger talents in the current set-up than he was in his day. He said: “I don’t think I said that, no. I don’t remember saying that. I don’t know if Ray had a few pints in him. “Maybe I said something along the lines of maybe there is more potential, and sometimes the players are the last to think that. “Maybe there has been a mentality that when they play for Ireland or even at club level that sometimes they don’t realise how good they are.” “There wasn’t one bone in my body that said, ‘No, this is not for me’. As soon as I met Martin and we discussed it, I thought, ‘yes’. There was nothing to discuss. I just said, ‘Yes, let’s go for it’.” Keane took his first managerial job at the Stadium of Light at the age of just 35 back in August 2006, and guided the Black Cats to promotion back to the Barclays Premier League in his first season. He departed in December 2008 with the club languishing in the lower reaches of the table, and he spent a little more than 20 months at Ipswich before his reign was brought to an untimely conclusion. However, the former Manchester United star is convinced he should have had more chances than he had to return to football before O’Neill brought him in from the cold. He said: “I have had two opportunities to get back into football – one was working abroad, another was an international job – and it didn’t quite fall into place, but there are certainly clubs in England I feel should have given me an opportunity. “But a lot of coaches say that, so yes, it was frustrating, but also you need to be patient and wait for the right opportunity. “I am just glad that someone like Martin O’Neill said, ‘Listen, do you fancy coming and working with me?’, and really with the Irish team, it seemed like such a good fit, I couldn’t say no.” O’Neill revealed as he was unveiled on Saturday that there was no clause in his two-year contract that would allow him to leave for another job, and Keane is not even thinking along those lines. Roy Keane has admitted he would have been “crazy” to turn down the chance to become Ireland manager Martin O’Neill’s assistant.