The Region Ten community of Coomacka will now benefit from reliable cellular phone service and internet connectivity, as Digicel has commissioned one of the country’s highest towers in the community on Saturday.The newly commissioned tower in Coomacka, Region TenPublic Telecommunications Minister Cathy Hughes applauded the telephone company for the expansion, and adding that Digicel has become an important partner in taking Guyana a step forward to becoming ICT (information and communications technology) capable.The minister noted that Digicel did not merely seek to provide cellular phone service, and she urged the community to seize the opportunity by utilizing the services of reliable reception and internet connectivity for training and entrepreneurial services, to assist in the development of their community and Guyana as a whole.“Internet (connectivity) is an inducement to be used to surf the Web. I want to use it to find out what business opportunities may lie in store for you… To get creative with the fruits and vegetables that you grow in your communities… How you can sell your products online. It is interesting to know what we can do with information,” the minister posited as she recognised some services which can be advertised online.With that said, the minister announced that the Government was now ready to set up an ICT hub to service the community.“We will bring the computers here, we will make it available, we will provide the training that you will need,” she assured.Meanwhile, Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Digicel, Gregory Dean, indicated the company is pleased to extend its services to a new location — something which was not done in a long time, as recent works have primarily included upgrading services in already existing locations.The project was executed as a means of killing two birds with one stone, it was explained, and the minister referred to connectivity issues faced in small neighbouring communities.“One of the reasons for that is (the height of the tower) to improve the links to those other communities, (and) also to serve those communities here… We did a drive this morning, and so far, way up to Three Friends and Marie Elizabeth have been having signal, and I’ve heard (that communities) up the river as well are having signal..” Dean said.The next few weeks will see improvements done in the Coomacka area (based on the results of the drive test) as well as other locations around the country, by switching to 3-G network. These upgrades are expected to be completed before the end of this year.Representative of the Coomacka community, Dexter Harding, expressed his gratitude to Digicel for making such an investment, which would not only service the community, but other neighbouring villages as well. According to Harding, this implementation is the fruit of successive connections with the service-providing company, which he considered a leap from the aerial, which offered poor services in the past. “Working along with Digicel, we were able to achieve the great opening of this tower here…this would change our lives forever” he said. He has recognized, from his tenure on the Regional Democratic Council (RDC), the communication struggles faced by the communities.Harding made reference to an extreme situation in Three Friends, where persons created “phone booths” using bottles and pieces of wood placed at strategic points where they were able to access cell phone service.Successive discussions with the service company proved effective, because now gone are the days of “phone booths”, thanks to Digicel, he declared.
9 July 2010French information technology company Atos Origin has announced an empowerment deal that will see a 26% stake in its South African subsidiary being sold to a consortium of black investors, comprising AWCA Investment Holdings (AIH) and Manteo Investments, for an undisclosed amount.Atos Origin provides hi-tech transactional services, consulting, systems integration and managed operations to organisations in a wide range of sectors including telecommunications, media, manufacturing, financial services, transport, healthcare and medical services.“Africa is an important territory in Atos Origin’s overall growth ambitions,” Atos Origin South Africa chairman Winfried Holz said in a statement this week.“This transaction will strengthen our business and will give us a boost to participate in growth opportunities in this fast emerging IT-services market.”Continental expansionAtos Origin South Africa, the company’s sub-Saharan African subsidiary, set up operations in South Africa in 1999. The company now employs 250 people providing IT services to the country’s major telecommunications operators, including MTN, Vodacom, Cell-C and Telkom. The company has business operations in Kenya and Nigeria.“Our new shareholders are experienced business people with networks in many industries. They will help us take our business to the next stage,” said Atos Origin South Africa country manager Adrian Ralph.“Together, we will diversify into new industries such as financial services and the public sector and increase our presence in the rest of the continent.”Value creation, transformationAIH was established in 2008 by 60 black women chartered accountants, all of whom are influential business people and captains of industry, spread across diverse sectors of the economy.The company distributes a portion of its dividends through the African Women Chartered Accountants (AWCA), a non-profit organisation started in 2002 as a platform for aspiring and qualified black women chartered accountants.“This investment is in line with our company’s philosophy to participate in high-growth opportunities where we can add value and create opportunities for our shareholders and AWCA members,” said AIH director Karabo Nondumo.“We are already actively involved in value creation and further transformation of the company.”Strong local managementManteo Investments is owned by Yusuf Surtee, a prominent business man who is well known in the IT, financial and public sector and who has a long association with Atos Origin dating back to 1999.“I have made good experience with Atos Origin in the more than 10 years I have worked with the company,” said Manteo Investments’ Yusuf Surtee.“Atos Origin has a strong local management and has proven to be a reliable partner to South African and international companies, hence I am convinced they are well positioned to further expand.”SAinfo reporterWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See: Using SAinfo material
Pocari head coach Rommel Abella said their championship form all boiled down to the team’s composure.“It was all about the team’s composure, I remind them every time I call a timeout that they need to be composed and focused at the game at hand,” said Abella.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutThe Water Defenders’ last gasp on life were their three straight points late in the fourth set to cut the Lady Warriors’ lead to 23-18, but Michelle Keddy would quell Bali Pure’s futile attempt to a comeback to put Pocari at match point, 24-18.Pocari Sweat celebrates another PVL title. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.net“Even when Bali Pure scored three straight points, I wasn’t worried that we would lose,” said Abella. “What I was worried about was that they could cut the lead and the momentum would swing to their favor.” LATEST STORIES Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Krystal Rivers, who played her first game with Pocari in the first match of the finals, was magnificent for the Lady Warriors as she put up a game-high 27 points while Finals MVP Myla Pablo added 16 points.Michelle Strizak, who was named the Conference’s Best Import, had 10 points to aid the Lady Warriors in their championship quest.Jeng Bualee and Jennifer Keddy led Bali Pure with 13 points apiece.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next ‘Young, full of potential’ Chooks-Pilipinas 3×3 team heads to France Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ MOST READ What ‘missteps’? Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken Water Defenders, 20-25, 25-17, 25-17, 25-19, in the deciding Game 3.Jessey De Leon rose up for the final hit of the conference and gave Pocari its third straight title in in the tournament formerly known as Shakey’s V-League after conquering last year’s Reinforced and Open conferences.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Pocari drops Bali Pure to win another PVL title2.8K viewsSportsVentuno Web Player 4.51 View comments Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games 1 dead in Cavite blast, fire World’s 50 Best Restaurants launches new drinking and dining guide Heart Evangelista admits she’s pregnant… with chicken WATCH: Firefighters rescue baby seal found in parking garage
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Roma wing-back Florenzi: Champions League qualification our goalby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAS Roma wing-back Alessandro Florenzi says their target is Champions League qualification.Florenzi admits trophies are on the agenda.He said, “The Coppa Italia could be a very important objective for Roma. We mustn’t take dreams out of our minds.“Even if we know Serie A is impossible, we have another objective, which is the Champions League.“I’m not saying it’s a utopia, but it would really be a dream to retrace what we did last season and improve on it, even if it won’t be easy.“I don’t think we lack malice. Sometimes we haven’t been clinical enough. I’m not just talking about the strikers but rather everyone, myself included.“We’re lacking a bit in this regard, similar to how we’re lacking in desire to not concede goals.“I’m not just talking about the defenders but rather the whole team. These are things that we had last season and we have to find them again.”
zoom Hundreds of gallons of oil leaked from the San Diego-based guided-missile destroyer USS Dewey on October 4 while the vessel was near the mouth of Tijuana River, a US Navy spokesperson confirmed.Around 700 gallons of oil were spilled due to a mechanical failure aboard the ship, media reports suggest. At the time, USS Dewey was some 4 miles off the coast of Imperial Beach, California.Helen Haase, Navy Region Southwest Environmental Public Affairs Officer, said that the Navy pilots and Coast Guard observers “did not see the sheen during the 4 pm flight” on October 5.“They did a complete search of the area in a grid pattern and no one was able to see any sheen in the water.”Another flight over was planned in the morning hours on October 6 for final verification, due to inconsistency with sheen and original modeling that was created earlier.National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) officials earlier informed that the oil sheen could reach land last Thursday afternoon, however the spill did not move from the incident area, media sources cited Haase.World Maritime News Staff
Harry Redknapp is feeling very optimistic over England’s World Cup prospects due to the fact that there are no “outstanding teams” at the tournamentThe Three Lions secured a convincing 2-0 win against Costa Rica on Thursday at Elland Road with Marcus Rashford scoring a spectacular 25-yard strike to open the scoring before substitute Danny Welbeck sealed the victory by heading in the second goal.Despite the upcoming World Cup featuring the likes of Spain, Brazil and champions Germany, Redknapp is certain that this summer’s tournament holds no clear winner and feels that even the young and inexperienced England squad may be able to capitalise on this and secure an unexpected title.“We’re going to win it, let’s go for it,” said Redknapp, according to talkSPORT.“Don’t start talking about getting out of the group and all that, let’s have a go!Crouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“There are no outstanding teams in this year – it’s wide open.“I couldn’t pick a winner; Brazil, Spain, Germany…I don’t think any of them are where they have been in the past.“So why can’t we do a miracle?“It’s happened before, it can happen again.”England will begin their World Cup campaign against Tunisia on June 18.
The harvest was composed of 381 chinook, 370,460 sockeye, 14,544 coho, 1.6 million pink, and 48,729 chum salmon, of which 758,117 (37.9%) were commercial common property harvest and 1.2 million (62.1%) were hatchery cost recovery. The preliminary 2018 hatchery cost recovery value was $4.6 million, according to the DF&G. The preliminary common property harvest exvessel value of approximately $2.6 million was abovethe previous 10-year average of $2.5 million. Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享The 2018 Lower Cook Inlet Area commercial salmon harvest, based on current preliminary fish ticket data, was 2.0 million fish, according to the Department of Fish and Game. For the Upper Cook Inlet commercial harvest was approximately 1.3 million salmon, which was 61% less than the recent 10-year average annual harvest of 3.4 million fish. President of the United Cook Inlet Drift Association David Martin said in his 47 years of fishing the Cook Inlet, 2018 was “probably the worst” season he’d seen.
Additional crews were added, the local Yukon Fire crew has joined the three other crews in this critical area of the fire. Saarloos: “Crews will work together today on their continued mission of protecting the community of Sterling by mopping up, securing and monitoring fireline on the southwestern edge of the fire.” Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Management of the Swan Lake Fire, burning in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, will transition to an incoming Type 2 Alaska incident management team. Sarah Saarloos with DOF: “Fire personnel will be transitioning the Incident Command from the Division of Forestry Kenai-Kodiak Unit in Soldotna to Sterling Elementary School this morning. Expect to see more fire personnel on the Sterling Highway while they complete this move and more presence in Sterling in future.” This move to a Type 2 team increases the capacity of each division of staffing. More personnel assigned to this fire provides for a comprehensive strategic plan going forward and adds capacity in anticipation of the shift in weather back to drier days, according to a release from the Division of Forestry. The cloudy day on Sunday allowed firefighters on the 12,782 acre Swan Lake Fire to make good progress. The southwestern firelines nearest the community of Sterling were further strengthened and widened as crews strategically tied work with the existing pipeline right-of-way clearing. Motorists are still urged to yield to fire apparatus entering the Sterling Highway and to adhere to traffic signage staged near miles 82 and 92. For more details contact the Division of Forestry Public Information office at 907-260-4262, visit kpboem.com orinciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6387/
The Trump administration is imposing sanctions on members of Venezuela’s Supreme Court following a series of rulings that the U.S. says has usurped power from the nation’s opposition-controlled congress and sparked a deadly wave of unrest. – / 12 The U.S. Department of Treasury announced Thursday it is freezing the assets of eight Venezuelan government officials on the Supreme Court in an effort to support the Venezuelan people “in their efforts to protect and advance democratic governance.”A ruling issued in late March that stripped Venezuela’s congress of its last powers was later reversed amid a storm of international criticism. But near-daily anti-government protests were triggered by the ruling and have continued across the country, with more than 40 people killed.The U.S. move marks the second round of sanctions Trump has imposed on high-level Venezuelan officials since taking office. Video Playerhttps://cdn.hpm.io/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/28151149/VZLA428_1.mp400:0000:0001:05Use Up/Down Arrow keys to increase or decrease volume.CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — Share