In light of recent reports that government has engaged the judicial branch on reforms for sentencing policy, President Granger has observed that too many young offenders are incarcerated.Speaking at the handing-over of the Camp Street Prison riot Commission of Inquiry report on Wednesday he said the Administration had discussions with the judiciary on sentencing policies to reduce the rising number of inmates.He also stated that no President would be happy to see large numbers of young people spend so much of their lives incarcerated.It was explained that some individuals start off at the Onderneeming facility, spend time at Camp Street Prison and end up at the Mazaruni Prison, which the Guyanese leader said was responsible for Government’s dialogue with the Judiciary.Meanwhile, the Head of State opined that the main prisons in Guyana; the Camp Street, Mazaruni and New Amsterdam structures, being over a century old, were not designed to cater for the current huge prison population and suggested that the facilities at Lusignan and Timehri were built to assist the main prisons.The President recalled his visit to the Mazaruni Prison earlier this year with Minister of State Joseph Harmon and Public Security Minister Kemraj Ramjattan where they sought to explore how the conditions of prison life could be improved.“We looked at improving the production of food; providing facilities to encourage inmates to alter their behaviour so that they don’t have to return into that system,” Granger noted, explaining that his team looked into rehabilitation while on their visit.The Head of State noted further that government will now direct its efforts towards ensuring the country becomes a safer place and expressed hope that fewer children, men and women will end up in the country’s prisons.It was only last week that the President told the media that in efforts to reduce the overcrowding in the prisons, the government could review custodial sentencing for persons in possession of small amounts of marijuana. He however cautioned that while the matter came up for discussions, no decisions were taken.The Social Protection Ministry earlier in the year had announced that alternative sentencing for young offenders could become mainstreamed, but it was cautioned that such offenders should not be “grave violators” of the nation’s Criminal Laws.Calls were also made for consideration for reduce penalties against offenders between the ages 16 and 21.The Social Protection Ministry’s Chief Probation and Social Services Officer Gavin Munroe told the media earlier this year that systems for alternative sentencing were being addressed but he had observed that an assessment by departmental officials would done and the requisite recommendations were also submitted
The arduous wait for rainfall continues to drag on. For coastal salmon anglers waiting to drift the Smith, Chetco or Eel, it seems like a lifetime ago when the rivers last hadenough flow for salmon to maneuver upriver. Hardly a drop has hit the ground since late October, when enough rain fell in the Smith Basin to put the Smith on the rise. Though the parched ground soaked up most of the moisture, the Smith did rise above 700 cfs on the Jed Smith gauge for a brief period of time. Since then, …
The ruling Congress and Opposition BJP in Rajasthan have started the exercise for identifying candidates for by-elections to two Assembly seats — Mandawa and Khinvsar — scheduled for October 21. After facing defeat in the 2019 Lok Sabha election, the bypolls will be a challenge for the Congress, while the BJP pins its hopes on new State president Satish Poonia.The by-elections were necessitated after the sitting MLAs vacated the seats following their election to Lok Sabha. Mandawa MLA Narendra Khichar won as the BJP MP from Jhunjhunu, while Rashtriya Loktantrik Party MLA from Khinvsar, Hanuman Beniwal, won from Nagaur after his regional party entered into an alliance with the BJP and joined the NDA just before general elections.The candidates’ nominations can be filed till September 30 and the date for withdrawal of candidature will be October 3. After the polling on October 21, the results will be declared on October 24, according to the Election Commission.Impact on civic pollsThe by-elections are important for Congress because of their perceptible impact on the municipal polls due in November this year, for which the rival factions in the party wish to field their favourite candidates with the winning potential. Moreover, the party wants to send across a message of its effective governance even after its defeat at all the 25 Lok Sabha seats in the State.For the BJP, the appointment of Mr. Poonia — a Jat leader with strong association with Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh — as the party chief may help at the two Jat-dominated seats. The party is yet to make up its mind on entering into alliance with the RLP, though former Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje may not play a major role in the candidates’ selection, unlike in the Lok Sabha polls.Mr. Beniwal said on Monday that the RLP-BJP alliance would contest both the Assembly seats and he would like to field his party’s candidate in Khinvsar. “We are willing to support the BJP candidate in Mandawa. The final decision will be take at a meeting of office-bearers of both the parties in a couple of days,” he said.The Congress, which has strengthened its position in the State Assembly after the recent merger of six Bahujan Samaj Party MLAs, may give ticket to a member of Nagaur district’s influential Mirdha family. The party has lost the Khinvsar seat during the last three successive elections, as Mr. Beniwal won first on the BJP ticket in 2008 and later as an Independent in 2013 and as the RLP candidate in 2018.Mandawa was earlier considered a stronghold of veteran Congress leader Ram Narayan Chaudhary, who died in 2012. His daughter Rita Chaudhary defeated Mr. Khichar in 2008, but the latter emerged victorious as an Independent in 2013 and and as a BJP candidate in 2018.
LYCEUM 96 – Perez 22, Jc. Marcelino 19, Ayaay 10, Tansingco 10, Caduyac 8, Pretta 8, Jv. Marcelino 6, Liwag 5, Nzeusseu 5, Marata 3, Baltazar 0, Cinco 0, Ibañez 0, Santos 0.MAPUA 90 – Gabo 21, Buñag 18, Victoria 16, Aguirre 11, Nieles 9, Orquina 7, Pelayo 6, Raflores 2.Quarters: 20-21, 48-43, 73-58, 96-90. Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong protesters Lyceum lost hold of its 17-point lead, 71-54 in the third quarter as Laurenz Victoria and Leo Gabo willed Mapua to get to as close as six late in the game.Robinson said that it’s something his team needs to work on as the Pirates gear up for tougher foes ahead.“That’s the challenge for us. If we want to stay on top, there’s a lot of responsibilities that come with it. We’re the barometer. Hopefully, this will be a wake up call for us that any team can beat us if we let our guards down,” he said.Gabo paced Mapua (1-9) with 21 points and five assists, while Christian Buñag had 18 markers and 14 rebounds in the loss.The Scores:ADVERTISEMENT Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. NATO’s aging eye in the sky to get a last overhaul Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES View comments For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim MOST READ Africa champion Cameroon misses out on World Cup Celebrity chef Gary Rhodes dies at 59 with wife by his side CJ Perez paced the Pirates with 22 points and nine rebounds, while Jaycee Marcelino got 19 markers, six boards, and two dimes.MJ Ayaay and Ralph Tansingco both chimed in 10 points apiece in Lyceum’s 10th straight win.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSBoxers Pacquiao, Petecio torchbearers for SEA Games openingCoach Topex Robinson, though, was dissatisfied with how his side reacted to the Cardinals’ challenge, as the cellar dwellers gave the Pirates everything they could handle.“I guess we didn’t play our usual game. We didn’t honor the game and it almost backfired on us. Credit to coach Atoy (Co) for preparing his team well for us,” the youthful mentor said. Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Lyceum didn’t look like it missed a beat as it sustained its hot streak to the second round of the NCAA Season 93 men’s basketball tournament with a 96-90 victory over Mapua Tuesday at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.ADVERTISEMENT Robredo should’ve resigned as drug czar after lack of trust issue – Panelo
SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte PDEA chief backs Robredo in revealing ‘discoveries’ on drug war ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes LATEST STORIES Tyler Johnson scored 15 points for Miami, which got 14 from Justise Winslow and 13 apiece from Bam Adebayo and Wayne Ellington. The Heat shot 38 percent, including 12 of 42 from 3-point range.The Heat fell to 11-14 at home — and the Bulls, who snapped a four-game slide, moved to 7-20 on the road. Portis had 15 points in the fourth, while Miami’s entire roster managed 21 in the final 12 minutes.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsBoth teams were without key pieces.Miami — which will be without Derrick Jones until mid-March at least and isn’t planning to have point guard Goran Dragic back until at least the All-Star break — held out Dwyane Wade with right knee soreness, with the belief that it isn’t terribly serious. Chicago was without Zach LaVine because of a sprained right ankle, making that determination after he tested it out and experienced pain before the game. MOST READ PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Celtics overcome Kyrie Irving’s absence to rout Hornets Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Chicago Bulls center Robin Lopez (42) is fouled by Miami Heat forward Justise Winslow (20) during the first half of an NBA basketball game, Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019, in Miami. (AP Photo/Lynne Sladky)MIAMI — Bobby Portis scored 22 of his 26 points in the second half, Wayne Selden added 20 and the Chicago Bulls ran away in the second half to beat the Miami Heat 105-89 on Wednesday night.Lauri Markkanen had 14 points and 13 rebounds for the Bulls, who finished January with a 2-13 record — the franchise’s second-worst mark ever in that month. Kris Dunn scored 14 and Robin Lopez added 13 for Chicago, which shot 51 percent.ADVERTISEMENT Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Heat: Miami won the season series 2-1. The Heat have swept the Bulls only twice in 31 seasons. … Hassan Whiteside got a technical foul in the third quarter for pulling himself up on the rim after a dunk. He argued that Markkanen was in his landing vicinity, to no avail. … Josh Richardson scored 12 points.WADE DEALWade was announced Wednesday as an ambassador for BallerTV, a site streaming live amateur sports such as high school basketball. Wade — who has used it to follow his son’s games — said part of the appeal for him is that students do much of the announcing and camera-operating. “They get a chance to get a camera from BallerTV and go do this themselves. It helps youth get to their dreams. I liked that,” Wade said.BIG DIFFERENCEThe temperature at tip-off in Miami was 68 degrees, a bit cool for South Florida. Factor in the wind chill in polar-vortex-stricken Chicago, and the air there at game time felt like minus-34 — a mere 102-degree difference between the two cities.UP NEXTBulls: Visit the Charlotte Hornets on Saturday.Heat: Host the Oklahoma City Thunder on Friday. The Bulls led by 10 after the first quarter, took a two-point lead into halftime and then found themselves trailing by six early in the third. But they answered with an 18-5 run over the next five minutes, and led by three when Dion Waiters tried a 3-pointer with 1:38 left for the tie.It missed, and with that the Bulls were off and running.Chicago finished the quarter on a 7-0 run, taking a 78-68 lead into the fourth. Miami never got closer than seven again.TIP-INSBulls: Carmelo Anthony still appears on Chicago’s roster. The official reason for him not playing is listed as “trade pending.” … Chicago has reached 100 points in 14 consecutive games, the team’s longest streak since the 1991-92 season. … Selden added eight assists.ADVERTISEMENT Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations View comments
About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Roma wing-back Florenzi: Champions League qualification our goalby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAS Roma wing-back Alessandro Florenzi says their target is Champions League qualification.Florenzi admits trophies are on the agenda.He said, “The Coppa Italia could be a very important objective for Roma. We mustn’t take dreams out of our minds.“Even if we know Serie A is impossible, we have another objective, which is the Champions League.“I’m not saying it’s a utopia, but it would really be a dream to retrace what we did last season and improve on it, even if it won’t be easy.“I don’t think we lack malice. Sometimes we haven’t been clinical enough. I’m not just talking about the strikers but rather everyone, myself included.“We’re lacking a bit in this regard, similar to how we’re lacking in desire to not concede goals.“I’m not just talking about the defenders but rather the whole team. These are things that we had last season and we have to find them again.”
Ohio State sophomore Joey Bosa was a huge part of the Buckeyes’ national championship run this past year. He’s also one of the most popular players on the team – both in the locker room and with the fan base. The combination has apparently led to at least one Buckeyes supporter naming his new puppy after the defensive end.Kit Hartsfield, an Ohio State fan who actually played some ball at Austin Peay, tweeted out a photo of his incredibly cute new pet. He named him “Bosa”, and tweeted a photo at the player himself. Bosa retweeted the photo.Meet Bosa @jbbigbear pic.twitter.com/aDQSPQ0k3v— Kit Hartsfield (@khartsfield2) February 23, 2015This past June, we wrote an article about the baby name “Braxton” seeing a 300% increase from 2011 to 2013. Perhaps “Bosa” will the the equivalent when it comes to naming pets.
ANN ARBOR, MI – APRIL 04: Head coach Jim Harbaugh of the Michigan Wolverines listens in on an offensive huddle during the Michigan Football Spring Game on April 4, 2015 at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan. (Photo by Gregory Shamus/Getty Images)Shut it down, everyone. The informal contest to see who would come up with the best college football-themed take on Drake’s Views From The 6 cover might be over just a few days in. After Jay Harbaugh put together a pretty good effort featuring his father, Ohio State mascot Brutus Buckeye posted his own version…and yeah, this is pretty mean if you’re a Michigan fan..@BleacherReport ** #VIEWS fro TSUN. **#GoBucks pic.twitter.com/u91EmgEIg0— Brutus Buckeye (@Brutus_Buckeye) April 26, 2016 Considering the score of last year’s game at Michigan Stadium, he probably could’ve left the Parental Advisory sticker in place. It was pretty appropriate.[Bleacher Report]
zoom Greek shipowner Navios Maritime Partners plans to transfer the 14-vessel container fleet acquired from Rickmers Maritime to its affiliate Navios Maritime Containers Inc. The company expects to carry out the transfer at a cost of USD 5 million and an investment of USD 30 million in return for equity.As disclosed, Navios Partners will also receive a warrant, with a five-year term, exercisable for an additional 6.8% equity interest in NMCI.In line with the terms of the deal, Navios Maritime Holdings is also expected to invest USD 5 million in exchange for equity, and receive a warrant, with a five-year term, exercisable for an additional 1.7% equity interest in NMCI.The vessels from the fleet are to kick off delivery starting the week of May 15, 2017, and the first to be handed over are five 4,250 TEU vessels, as informed earlier.These vessels are employed on charters that have staggered expirations in 2018 and early 2019 at a net daily charter rate of USD 26,850.The acquisition is still subject to a number of conditions, and “no assurance can be provided that the acquisition will close at all or in part,” the company added.In April, Navios Maritime Partners revealed its plans to acquire the entire container fleet consisting of fourteen ships from Rickmers Maritime for about USD 113 million. The move came in the aftermath of the decision of Rickmers Trust Management, the trustee-manager of Rickmers Maritime, to wound up its business.The average age of the fleet, which consists of eleven 4,250 TEU containerships and three 3,450 TEU vessels, is 9.5 years.Navios Partners is financing the purchase through a USD 20 million equity investment by Navios Partners and a secured loan facility under discussion.
TORONTO — Police forces in major cities across Canada are investigating multiple bomb threats, as authorities in the U.S. say similar threats sent to dozens of locations appear to be a hoax.Police in Toronto, Calgary, Ottawa and Winnipeg, as well as several RCMP detachments, are all investigating multiple threats.One busy subway station in downtown Toronto was briefly evacuated this afternoon due to a threat received in the area, but was up and running again within hours.A spokesman for Toronto police says it’s not clear whether the threat, or any of the others received across the city, were related to those in other locations.Meantime, law enforcement agencies across the U.S. dismissed a series of threats, which they said were meant to cause disruption and compel recipients into sending money.Some of the email threats received in the U.S. had the subject line “Think Twice,” and a demand for a payment in Bitcoin. The Canadian Press