Pune: Ambedkarite parties have expressed concern over the allegedly tardy progress of the two-member commission set up by the State government to probe the Bhima-Koregaon clash that occurred on January 1. The outfits, including the RPI (A), said the statements of only a handful of people were recorded during the conclusion of the first phase of the hearings in Pune, which lasted four days from October 3 to October 6.They have demanded that the commission consisting of Justice Jai Narayan Patel, former Chief Justice of the Calcutta High Court, and State chief secretary Sumit Mullick, submit their report by the end of December.On Wednesday, freelance journalist and researcher Chandrakant Patil deposed before the commission and submitted documents concerning the historical aspects leading to, and the vague nature of, the outcome of the 1818 battle between a regiment of the East India Company and the forces of the Peshwa.Mr. Patil said caste or religion had played no part in the events leading up to the engagement. In his affidavit, Mr. Patil said the battle was the result of a sequence of events arising from the assassination of a senior court member of the rulers of Baroda (Vadodara) in 1815 by a trusted lieutenant of the Peshwas. The British saw a chance to supplant the Peshwas.“There is no evidence to suggest that the Mahars had approached the British with an offer to help them against the Peshwas as they had been insulted by the latter or that they sought freedom from any sort of caste discrimination,” Mr. Patil said.Objecting to Mr. Patil’s claims, RPI (A) leader Siddharth Dhende said time is being wasted on the submission of a self-styled researcher whose deposition is irrelevant to the immediate question of the riots.“While I don’t wish to point fingers, the commission ideally ought to have recorded the statements of those directly affected by the clashes in the first phase of the hearings. Why is so much precious time being wasted on the testimony of someone like Mr. Patil? The materials that he has submitted to support his contention are already present in the public domain,” Dr. Dhende told The Hindu. The objective behind the judicial commission, Dr. Dhende said, is to probe who instigated the January 1 clash. “If only four or five persons have been examined by the commission so far, then the hearings could well drag on for another six months. By that time, the elections will be round the corner and the issue will be hanging fire,” Dr. Dhende, who was a member of an unofficial coordination committee set up by the police in the aftermath of the clashes, said.On Saturday, the sarpanch of Vadhu Budruk, Rekha Shivale, told the commission that the gram panchayat office has no record of the samadhi of Govind Ganapat Gaikwad, a Mahar who is claimed by the Dalit community to have performed the last rites of the slain Maratha King Sambhaji (Shivaji’s son).Ms. Shivale said while the panchayat has records of the samadhis of Chhatrapati Sambhaji, his aide, the poet Kavi Kalash, and the documents of historical shrines in the area, there is no such record of Gaikwad’s samadhi which might have come up in the last two years.Two days before the Bhima-Koregaon clash, a dispute broke out between upper caste Marathas and Dalits in Vadhu Budruk on December 29 last year over a rudimentary plaque erected near the tomb of Gaikwad.Dalits believe Gaikwad had defied Mughal emperor Aurangzeb to perform the last rites of Sambhaji after the latter was tortured and murdered by Aurangzeb in 1689, and had paid with his life for this deed.However, Marathas of Vadhu-Budruk claim the Mahars’ account is a distortion of history and that it was their ancestors — Shivale Deshmukh alias Bapuji Buva and his wife Padmavati — who performed Sambhaji’s final rites.Dr. Dhende said, “The Vadhu Budruk gram panchayat, which is dominated by Marathas, has tampered with documents Prahlad Gaikwad, who owns the land on which the samadhi is situated. The tomb of Govind Ganpat, along with those of other Mahar soldiers who had fought the Bhima-Koregaon battle, has been present in the village for nearly 150 years. The gram panchayat members are attempting to distort history through such [Ms. Shivale’s] testimonies.”Meanwhile, the Republican Yuva Morcha’s State president, Rahul Dambale, has moved an application before the commission demanding that it complete its work before December 25.
MOST READ LOOK: Jane De Leon meets fellow ‘Darna’ Marian Rivera Members of the ground staff work on the baseline after play finished on center court on day eight at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London Tuesday, July 11, 2017. (AP Photo/Tim Ireland)LONDON — Bothered by what he called a “hole” at Centre Court, Novak Djokovic complained about the condition of the grass at Wimbledon on Tuesday.Djokovic, who defeated Adrian Mannarino in the fourth round, said the courts are among the worst he’s played on in his 13 years at the All England Club.ADVERTISEMENT Pagasa: Kammuri now a typhoon, may enter PAR by weekend Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ LATEST STORIES “He wanted me to show him, so I showed him,” Djokovic said at a news conference. “His reaction wasn’t that great.”Mannarino, who had not played on Centre Court until he faced Djokovic, said his only concern about the surface was that he had to make sure he didn’t slip during the match.“To me, the Centre Court (was) really good, actually,” Mannarino said. “Maybe he was complaining a little bit, but compared to the other courts I’ve been playing on before, it was good.”Tuesday was the first day persistent rain moved over southwest London since Wimbledon started. Because of the dry conditions, the 18 courts saw nearly uninterrupted play over the first seven days of the tournament, which led to consistent wear.Neil Stubley, the club’s head of courts and horticulture, said on Saturday that the measurements his staff had taken over the first week of play showed that the grass was considered to be healthy and within the acceptable standards of use.ADVERTISEMENT Another vape smoker nabbed in Lucena Pacquiao: Until passion is gone, I’ll continue to fight El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes View comments He also expressed confidence that the surface at Centre Court would be able to hold up over the second week.Simona Halep, whose quarterfinal loss to Johanna Konta was the third match on Centre Court on Tuesday, said she didn’t notice the hole Djokovic had mentioned.And Djokovic said the issue wasn’t one of safety as much as it was about fair play.“Grass is probably the most demanding and complex surface for maintenance,” he said. “The more you play on it, the worse it actually gets, unfortunately.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next China furious as Trump signs bills in support of Hong Kong Pagasa: Storm intensifies as it nears PAR Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles02:44Djokovic wins Laureus Sportsman of Year Award00:50Trending Articles02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games “(The) courts, honestly, are not that great this year and many players feel the same, but it is what it is,” Djokovic said in a television interview after his match ended. “I’m sure they’re trying their best, but I’ve played on better courts.”Djokovic, a three-time Wimbledon champion and 12-time Grand Slam winner, initially expressed his disappointment with the court condition following a third-round victory over Ernests Gulbis on Saturday.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsOn Tuesday, playing with the roof closed, Djokovic could be seen after points picking up or kicking away small portions of grass that had loosened up on the baseline.The second-seeded Serb lodged his disappointment with chair umpire Carlos Bernardes during the match and pointed out the issue afterward.