Two persons were on Wednesday ordered to pay a ,000 fine altogether, after it was alleged that they unlawfully wounded and assaulted each other.Tianna Daniels, of Lot 17 Broad and Lombard streets pleaded guilty with explanation to the charge of unlawful wounding after making her appearance in the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts before Magistrate Fabayo Azore.It is alleged that on March 23, 2016 at Broad and Lombard streets she unlawfully harmed Keith Mitchell.According to the Daniels on the day in question, March 23, she was standing waiting on her boyfriend when Mitchell premeditated to throw a bucket of water on her, which provoked her and she retaliated by throwing a bottle at the Mitchell’s head.Daniels phone (Plum) which was in her underwear was damaged as a result of the incident. She also claimed that the phone was fairly new as it was only purchased in February of this year.Keith Daniels, 17, of Lot 17 of the same address was also cross-charged.It is alleged that on the same day at the same location, he unlawfully assaulted Tianna Daniels.According to the prosecutor’s facts both Daniels and Mitchell reside in the same yard. And on the day in question Mitchell engaged in playing with water by throwing it on Daniels, after which she picked up a bottle and threw it at his forehead, causing injuries.The prosecutor had no objections to bail, however he asked that bail be set at a substantial amount.Daniels was ordered by the magistrate to pay a fine of ,000 or spend a default of 6 months in prison.Keith Mitchell was placed on ,000 bail as well as a bond to keep the peace. The matter was adjourned to May 16, 2016.
UG bomb threatsA female University of Guyana student was on Friday questioned and released in relation to the bomb threats made against the tertiary institution which surfaced primarily on social media.Based on information received the young woman was subsequently released following the intervention of her attorney Latchmi Rahamat.The University had postponed all classes until February 11, after a second bomb threat was directed at the learning institution on Thursday morning, thus resulting in the administration’s call to protect the lives of students and implement responsive measures.This is the second consecutive day in which threats were issued, resulting in a visit from both the Guyana Fire Service and the Guyana Police Force to conduct a thorough search of the premises.The University on Thursday said that time is needed for response mechanisms to be put in place in the case of any emergency and as such all classes were suspended. On February 11, all activities are scheduled to resume as per normal, the institution in a statement said, adding that it will also enable the institution to assess situations which occurred over the recent days.After Police ranks completed their search, it was noted that there has been “no significant threats” and further, that mischevous persons are behind these acts to disrupt the campus’s atmosphere.A meeting was convened on Wednesday evening with Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith and other senior officials where “the situation was assessed and they were advised that the situation arose from mischievous students, either by themselves or other persons.”This first bomb threat emerged earlier on Wednesday which indicated that other persons will be planting explosives at various institutions. The posts were prevalent on Facebook as seen in the name of an unknown individual going by the name of “Ki Ra” on Wednesday saying, “This is not the end.”Apart from these threats, other schools within Georgetown received threats as well, raising concerns among parents about the level of security.The first, aimed at School of Nations, escalated when the Director Brian O’Toole was shot. He is said to be recovering well. Circumstances at the Bishops’ High School and Queen’s College resumed to normalcy.