The journalistic fraternity in Kashmir, where 19 scribes lost their lives to unknown gunmensince 1990, will get to elect its first-ever body for the Kashmir Press Club (KPC) on July 15. As many as 252 working journalists and editors will vote for four posts of office-bearers and a seven-member executive committee. Thirty one candidates are in the fray for the July 15 polls. All the candidates wooed voters through a fierce poster, social media and video campaigns in the past one week, promising social security, exigency funds, free legal support etc.“Holding election for professional organisations is always a welcome step. One hopefully looks forward to its promised positive outcome for the profession as well as the larger public good,” said senior journalist Mohammad Syed Malik. He recalled that regular organisational elections were held prior to 1990 to choose the office-bearers of working journalists’ State unit affiliated to the Indian Federation of Working Journalists (IFWJ). “The onset of turmoil (in 1990) disrupted all. The rest is history,” said Mr. Malik.Kashmir may be a rare place in the country where setting up a press club remained a no-go area. Successive governments identified land and buildings but never handed them over to the journalists. “In the late 1990s, then Chief Minister Farooq Abdullah instructed his Chief Secretary to hand over the keys of a particular building to the media fraternity to start a press club. Later, the Chief Secretary disclosed that the keys of the building had gone missing,” said another senior journalist on condition of anonymity.The setting up of the press club, which was handed over by the previous government to the journalists in 2017, has come at a time when working journalists and editors are under tremendous pressure from many sides in Kashmir.The Kashmir Editors Guild (KEG), a body of editors of local dailies, at a recent meeting said the club “should become a symbol of unity.”Ishfaq Tantry, contesting for general secretary, said, “This election will be a first move towards starting a process of welfare for journalists and their working conditions. It should also become a hub to upscale skills of journalists.”
MANILA, Philippines—It would’ve been easy to rule out Far Eastern University inthe UAAP Season 81 women’s volleyball tournament after what transpired in 2018.ADVERTISEMENT What kept the team rising through the ranks were seniors Jerrili Malabanan, Heather Guino-o, and Kyle Negrito.Guino-o finished the elimination round as the seventh-best scorer with 179 points while Malabanan, the team’s captain, remained consistent throughout with a total of 119 points.Negrito orchestrated the team’s offense and was the fifth best setter with 4.7 excellent sets per frame.“I’ve already thanked my seniors since the beginning,” said Pascua. “They were already there to support me as early as the team building exercises and they wanted to achieve some unfinished business from a season ago and that was to win the championship.”“It’s just unfortunate that we couldn’t do it but of course I’m still proud of them for being the Ates of the team.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Bernadeth Pons, Season 80’s fourth-best scorer with a total of 215 points, left the Lady Tamaraws due to graduation while the team’s second-leading scorer Toni Rose Basas, who amassed 164 points, didn’t suit up due to injury.Those departures, however, did not stop FEU, last year’s silver medalist, from still being a serious title contender and getting back into the Final Four.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesSPORTSSingapore latest to raise issue on SEA Games food, logisticsREAD: Ateneo soars back to UAAP volleyball finals, stops FEU in its tracksEven the injury to rookie Lycha Ebon did not slow the Lady Tamaraws, who clinched fourth seed and set up a meet with Ateneo in the Final Four. Ethel Booba twits Mocha over 2 toilets in one cubicle at SEA Games venue PBA D-League: Marinero keeps playoff bid alive, turns back Metropac-San Beda Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games PLAY LIST 00:59Sports venues to be ready in time for SEA Games01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Panelo: Duterte ‘angry’ with SEA Games hosting hassles “I’m very proud of my players because they did well and it’s been a tough journey for us especially with what we’ve went through,” said FEU head coach George Pascua.“There were injuries, players who left, and yet they still fought to the best of their capabilities.”Against the no. 1 Lady Eagles who had a twice-to-beat edge, FEU showed the grit they’ve showcased all-season long, dragging the Final Four showdown to a Game 2.While Ateneo snuffed FEU’s hopes of returning to the title round with a 10-25, 25-23, 25-22, 12-25, 15-8 clincher, the Lady Tamaraws have already proved their worth.READ: Season on the line, FEU shows no quit vs favored Ateneo in Final 4ADVERTISEMENT SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Cayetano: Senate, Drilon to be blamed for SEA Games mess Philippine Arena Interchange inaugurated Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Hontiveros presses for security audit of national power grid DA eyes importing ‘galunggong’ anew LATEST STORIES Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ View comments
The Government has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)-World Customs Organisation (WCO) Container Control Programme that is expected to result in improved security at the nation’s ports. “This MoU establishes and recognises that a funded and enhanced partnership now exists between the Government of Jamaica, through the Ministries of Finance, National Security and Transport and Works and the UNODC and the World Customs Organisation, to improve port security and to prevent the unlawful use of cargo containers for activities, such as illicit drug trafficking, smuggling of goods, tax evasion and possible terrorist acts,” Finance and Planning Minister, Dr. the Hon. Peter Phillips, said at the signing at his Kingston office on Tuesday. The UNODC will provide technical assistance, equipment, analytical tools, computer stations, radio communications and field test kits to help in identifying drugs and chemicals in containers at the ports. They will also be involved in the training of the staff, selected to man the joint container control units. Programme Manager, UNODC, Troels Vester, said Jamaica is the first country in the Caribbean to join the programme, which is significant, due to Kingston’s role as a major transshipment hub. He stated that the container control programme aims to open fewer containers and find more illicit goods. Mr. Vester explained that 14 officers have commenced training under the programme, which began on November 26, and an ambitious deadline of December 10 has been set for the Container Control Units to become operational. In the meantime, Dr. Phillips also pointed to the possibility of earning increased revenue from the ports as a result of the programme’s implementation. “The mislabeling of containers leads to significant revenue evasion at the ports. Given our current fiscal situation, Jamaica critically needs the revenues to execute vital programmes and we also want to establish a general atmosphere of law abiding behavioor in our ports and elsewhere,” he said. The Minister pledged the Government’s commitment to establish a steering committee, and to have the participating institutions undertake to maintain and provide support to the port control units. He stated that funding has been secured from the Canadian Government in the sum of CD$500,000 for the programme to be implemented in the Kingston port, while the United States Government has committed to funding the programme for the Montego Bay port. Also at the signing was the US Ambassador, Pamella Bridgewater, who stated that her country was proud to collaborate with Canada to support the programme. “This collaboration, we firmly believe, will result in helping to preserve the security of Jamaica’s borders… and we think that it is going to be very important to ensure that the large number of shipping containers that pass through Jamaica do not contain illicit goods, such as narcotics, guns and other illicit substances. But equally important, it will be very good to know that the speedy shipment and processing of legitimate goods will be facilitated, which will be an important factor in enhancing Jamaica’s economy,” she said. For his part, Canadian High Commissioner, Robert Ready, said the project is an example of Canada’s commitment to fight international crime in the region. He stated that the Canadian Government stood ready to continue its support and provide expertise to Jamaica through the UNODC. The MoU follows a Letter of Intent that was signed in June of this year for the establishment of the programme. The UNODC-WCO aims to assist governments to establish effective container controls that will serve not only to prevent drug trafficking and other illicit container crime, but also to facilitate legitimate trade and raise state revenues.
Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes has condemned racial slur made at Scott Sinclair during the Scottish League Cup final.McInnes has slammed the Aberdeen fan who racially abused the Celtic player, but he insists it was a situation regarding an individual rather than a widespread problem for the Pittodrie club.Sinclair revealed his disappointments regarding the situation on social media after seeing a video of the racial slur aimed at him as he had a penalty saved during his club’s 1-0 win at Hampden.Aberdeen defender Shay Logan, who was himself a victim of racial slurs that saw Celtic winger Aleksandar Tonev banned for seven games in 2014, also called the Sinclair incident an utter disgrace.“If using the skin colour of somebody is what you have to do to try to offend a fellow human being you are losing in life,” said Logan, according to the Scotsman.Derek McInnes insists there isn’t a Premiership title race yet Henry Ikenna Ugwu – January 12, 2019 Aberdeen manager Derek McInnes believes there is no title race despite his side being one of the favourites to lift the Ladbrokes Premiership trophy…“BLACK WHITE ASIAN we are all the same.”McInnes also shares the views of his players as Aberdeen the fan will be punished duly once identifiedHe said: “Any racial abuse, in this day and age, is shocking. It’s embarrassing for the individual. It’s not a club issue for me. It’s the individual.”“That type of comment was maybe normal practice in the Sixties and Seventies, and it was appalling then and shocking then, and even more so now. It’s shocking that Scott Sinclair and any other player is still subjected to that.”