Tag: 爱上海QS


Boe Sehtorwon Breaks Ground for US$76K School


first_imgThe architectural design of the school when completedThe leadership of Boe Sehtorwon Association (BSA) of Canada, with headquarters in the United States, over the weekend broke ground for the construction of a 12-class room modern high school and technical vocational training center in Boe Bonlay Town, Nimba County Electoral District #6.Marvin Dahn, president of the association, who performed the official groundbreaking ceremony, informed elated residents that the project cost about US$76,000 and is expected to be completed before the next academic year begins.Dahn highlighted the importance of the project, which he said is intended to bring quality education to school-age children at a shorter distance in the chiefdom.Mr. Dahn promised residents that the association will do everything, but that the construction work will be completed through the help of the community dwellers, whose school-going age children are the direct beneficiaries.He challenged locals to take ownership of the project by providing security, though they will be required to source some materials, including town rocks, sand and planks. Meanwhile, the residents have committed themselves to provide whatever is necessary to fast track the project.It will be implemented by the A&E International Construction Company, incorporated, of which some of the workforce have already arrived to commence the construction of the school.It may be recalled that the Boe Sehtorwon Association had previously supplied medical equipment and identified with the locals during the Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) in 2014, and residents say they have remained grateful.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img read more


In a far corner of Mozambique, a World Cup under the stars


first_img0Shares0000In the Mozambique village of Alua residents watched the World Cup and were given health advice too © AFP / GIANLUIGI GUERCIAALUA, Mozambique, Jul 7 – In front of a large screen in a dusty field in remote northern Mozambique, a crowd is gripped by the second World Cup quarter-final, desperately willing Brazil to victory.The project to show live football for free in the remotest parts of Mozambique is a novel attempt to provide a rare night of entertainment and also spread public health awareness. On Friday, the first quarter-final between France and Uruguay began in harsh daylight, rendering the canvas screen unwatchable.Local barefooted players instead kicked around a ball made of plastic bags as other villagers listened to the commentary on large speakers until sun sank below the horizon.Children in scruffy school uniforms followed the game eagerly, still carrying their notebooks and pens in hand.The village of Alua has no mains power and only a few wealthier individuals have televisions powered by generators, and they charge other residents to watch.“We usually have to pay,” Leonardo Joao Batista, sitting a few rows from the front, told AFP.It is often too expensive for Batista, a farmer and father of seven children.“Today you do not have to know people to get in,” he said.– Cheers for Neymar –Cheers rose from the crowd in Mozambique whenever Brazil star Neymar appeared on the screen © AFP / GIANLUIGI GUERCIAMany locals, including Batista, had little idea who was playing in the quarter-finals or that the tournament is being held in Russia.But the crowd soon developed a fierce loyalty to France in the first quarter-final, as several of the team’s players have African heritage. They transferred their loyalty to Brazil in the second match.“Brazil speaks Portuguese like us,” explained Erasmus Anadani, 15.After France won the first game, the audience erupted into wild cheers whenever Brazilian star Neymar appeared on screen.Portugal, Mozambique’s former colonial ruler, was eliminated in the Round of 16, and many fans pinned all their hopes on Brazil.Earlier, the large screen was erected on rough ground and held firm with guy-ropes while organisers crisscrossed Alua village with a megaphone to announce that the broadcast was about to begin.Between the two games, songs, dances and short plays spread messages on how to detect early warning signs of cancer and when to seek treatment — though medical facilities are basic and very scarce.One mother, Lourdes Darin, promised to go to the health centre urgently to learn how to examine breasts and detect any problems.“Football is a way to reach a lot of people, so we combine sport and health education,” said Bastos Azarias, of the Mozambican Ministry of Health, a project partner.“It’s a good way to convey information,” agreed Caetano Alberto, a teacher enjoying the night out.“You have to go to the hospital to be examined,” he said, summarising the health guidance.– The tour moves on –On Saturday, it is the turn of the inhabitants of Namapa, 30 kilometres (20 miles) further north to gather in front the screen.The free big screen viewing was a rare treat for people in the village © AFP / GIANLUIGI GUERCIA“Every day we change villages or city, and the final on July 15 will be inside the old fortress on the Ilha de Mocambique,” said Fabrizio Falcone, director of CinemArena, the Italian initiative behind the broadcasts.“Everyone loves football, everyone wants to see the matches.”In the Brazil game, the final whistle brings deep disappointment as the Selecao suffer a surprise 2-1 defeat to Belgium and go out of the World Cup.The buzz of the generator ceases, the screen goes out and villagers drift into the dark night, their heads full of images.“Since my wedding here, I’ve never seen such a party,” said Teresinia Antonio, his child wrapped in a scarf on his back.0Shares0000(Visited 3 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more


Costa Ricas top 5 political fiascos of 2015


first_imgIt’s been a bruiser of a first year in office for Costa Rica President Luis Guillermo Solís. Several FIA concerts were moved from original venues to the Culture Ministry in downtown San José. (Via Culture Ministry)1. ‘FIAsco’The complete meltdown of Costa Rica’s treasured  International Arts Festival, or FIA, was arguably the worst self-inflected wound the Solís administration suffered this year. The arts festival is one of the largest and most respected public events organized by the government, but it ended up as a black eye for the freshman administration. After days of delays and $1.4 million in spending, the entire festival was scrapped for the first time in its history. International acts never performed, concerts were canceled and exhibitions went unseen. Former Culture Minister Elizabeth Fonseca lost her job in the fallout, along with FIA Director Inti Picado. A finned hammerhead shark in Costa Rica. For illustrative purposes. (Courtesy of PRETOMA)2. Solís declared ‘shark enemy’Former President Laura Chinchilla (2010-2014) won the honor of “Shark Guardian” for her efforts to bolster fishing controls, but Solís was slapped with a nomination for “Shark Enemy” of the year by Sharkproject International. The Solís administration found itself the target of criticism by conservationists after green-lighting the export of hammerhead shark fins to Hong Kong in March, and then announcing it would no longer “propose or support” international protections for shark species considered of commercial interest. The government says the new measures will guarantee that local fishermen can make a living, but conservationists say the policies will drive endangered hammerhead shark populations and sea turtles further to extinction. Costa Rica might be doing well with “green energy” this year but not so much when it comes to shark conservation. Former Minister of Science, Technology and Telecommunications Gisela Kopper speaks at Casa Presidencial, April 7, 2015. Courtesy Casa Presidencial3. Media ‘gag law’ leaves minister tongue-tiedCosta Rica has long been celebrated as a beacon of press freedom in Latin America, but one proposed bill this year threatened that reputation. A controversial media reform bill would have given the government the power to punish and even shutter Costa Rican media outlets if they broadcasted “lies” or offended “moral standards.” The bill set off a media fire storm with critics demanding to know how the government could objectively determine the “truth” when it came to scrutiny of public officials. Embarrassed by the draft legislation, Solís was forced to clean house at the Ministry of Science, Technology and Telecommunications (MICITT). MICITT Minister Giselle Kopper and Vice Minister of Telecommunications Allan Ruiz both lost their jobs in the fallout. Solís pulled the bill and signed the Inter American Press Association’s Declaration of Chapultepec to reset relations with national media. A photo of a Mitsubishi Lancer that was damaged by vandals on the evening of Aug. 21, 2015 in Costa Rica, reportedly because the driver was working with the ride-hailing service Uber. (Courtesy El Infierno en Costa Rica Facebook)4. Fingers point to government after attack on Uber driverWhen Uber Costa Rica went live in August without warning the government, taxi drivers and owners were flummoxed over how to respond. On the first night, Aug. 24, Traffic Police impounded two of the ride-hailing service’s vehicles, but then a group of taxi drivers — who were never identified or arrested — attacked an Uber driver’s vehicle. Accusations followed that the Public Works and Transit Ministry (MOPT) incited vigilante behavior when it allegedly asked taxis drivers to report Uber vehicles to the police. MOPT Vice Minister Sebastián Urbina denied the allegation, but Traffic Police Union President Homer Alfaro accused authorities of pressuring officers to go after Uber drivers at the expense of their other duties, in an interview with TV Channel 7 News. The Solís administration and the Government Attorney’s Office maintain that Uber’s service is illegal but has given up trying to enforce the law. Ruling Citizen Action Party (PAC) lawmaker Franklin Corella Vargas has called for a reform bill that would regulate Uber and other ride-hailing services in Costa Rica. An interview with Federico Picado Gómez, Costa Rican ambassador to Venezuela, published in La Nación on March 22, 2015. Picado was ordered removed from his post on March 25. Jill Replogle/The Tico Times5. Costa Rica’s ambassador to Venezuela recalled over cozy comments with Maduro regimeCosta Rica pulled its ambassador to Venezuela, Federico Picado Gómez, after the diplomat came out in defense of a request by the administration of Nicolás Maduro for power to sidestep the National Assembly there. Picado found himself out of a job after voicing support for the Chavista government in an interview published in the daily La Nación, in which he claimed Venezuela had a free press and blamed the country’s high inflation and shortage of basic goods on plunging petroleum prices and political maneuvers by “big business” looking to destabilize the Venezuelan government. The diplomat also said he thought Venezuelan President Maduro was right to ask for, and receive, extraordinary powers to bypass the country’s legislature in order to respond to U.S. President Barack Obama’s declaration of a “national emergency” to deal with the “threat” of Venezuela. Costa Rica Foreign Minister Manuel González said that Picado violated protocol when he did not clear the interview with the ministry first but did not mention his statements as the reason for the dismissal. Facebook Comments Related posts:Uber gets $200 million for international expansion President Solís gets good grade from most Costa Ricans as first 100 days pass Costa Rican veterans reflect 66 years after abolition of army Uber starts accepting drivers in Costa Rica but government threatens fineslast_img read more