Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegram World football governing body, FIFA, has suspended Benin Republic from world football with immediate effect following a court decision that blocked the holding of election by the country’s football association.The decision was taken in Mexico City at the inaugural meeting of the FIFA Council, the supervisory and strategic body that sets the vision for FIFA and global football, according to a statement posted on FIFA official website.The statement said: “In accordance with art. 38 of the FIFA Statutes, the Benin Football Association (FBF) is suspended with immediate effect due to a recent injunction by a local judicial court which impeded the holding of the due election.“The FIFA Congress will vote on the confirmation of the suspensions on the Football Association of Indonesia (PSSI), the Football Association of Kuwait (KFA), and the Benin Football Association (FBF).’’With the suspension, Benin will miss the Africa Cup of Nations Group C qualifiers.The Council also ratified the decision of the bureau of the Council to appoint a “normalisation committee’’ to run the daily affairs of the Guinea Football Federation (FGF).The FIFA statement said Uruguay was appointed as the host country for the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup 2018 (Nov. 20– Dec. 13).The Council also agreed to bring forward the event’s dates for the FIFA Club World Cup UAE 2017 by a day to now take place between Dec. 6 and Dec. 16.The statement said regarding the bidding process for the 2026 FIFA World Cup, the Council agreed on a four-phase process: a new strategy and consultation phase (May 2016 – May 2017), enhanced phases for bid preparation (June 2017 – Dec 2018), bid evaluation (Jan 2019 – Feb 2020) culminating in a decision in May 2020.It said the consultation phase will focus on four areas:• The inclusion of human rights requirements, sustainable event management, environmental protection in the bidding• Principle of exclusion of bidders that do not meet technical requirements• Review of the current stance on joint bids• Number of teamsIt said while the consultation process should finish by May 2017, the decision on the number of teams, formats and the eligibility of confederations to bid is expected for October.
But Lock made it clear he wanted a higher-value contract than Risner and negotiations have stalled ahead of the first team meeting Wednesday morning and the first practice on Thursday, 9News added.Risner reportedly signed a four-year deal worth “a little more” than $7 million Tuesday. Due to the NFL’s slot system, the report noted, Lock should receive a four-year, $7 million contract with a $3.119 million bonus and Risner isn’t concerned about making less than a player selected after him in the draft.Lock started in 46 of his 50 games at Missouri. Although his best season came as a junior, he finished his final year completing 62.9% of his passes for 3,498 yards and 28 touchdowns. Larry Fitzgerald says Kliff Kingsbury is speeding up Cardinals’ offense But, history isn’t in Lock’s favor.The report noted quarterbacks taken in both the first and third rounds commonly get the premium, but since 2014, no second-round signal caller has received it. Related News Instead, the report notes Denver has offered Lock the same workout bonus add ons as left guard Dalton Risner, who was the 41st pick by the team, taken one slot ahead of Lock. Robbie Gould happy ‘weird offseason’ is behind him after securing new deal with 49ers There’s a ’40 percent’ chance Rob Gronkowski comes out of retirement, returns to Patriots, report says It seems the Broncos can’t agree to terms with their second-round pick.Drew Lock, a quarterback out of Missouri, is seeking a “quarterback premium,” according to a report from 9News.com, which cited unidentified league sources.
The Borussia Moenchengladbach striker has scored four times in as many games since the Bundesliga resumed last month to reach double digits in his debut season in Germany.Thuram, the son of 1998 World Cup winner and anti-racism activist Lilian, made a statement of his own in last Sunday’s 4-1 win over Union Berlin, kneeling and bowing his head after scoring the first of his two goals, in a gesture reminiscent of past protests by NFL players in the US against racism and police brutality.Gladbach return to action on Friday at Freiburg as they jostle with RB Leipzig and Leverkusen for Champions League qualification.Key stats86 – Bayern’s league goals this season. No team has ever scored as many times through 29 games of a Bundesliga campaign.17 – seconds Stefan Ilsanker was on the field before scoring against Werder Bremen. The Austria international struck twice in Wednesday’s 3-0 victory after coming on as a late substitute.308 – Bundesliga appearances made by Japan’s Makoto Hasebe, an Asian record he shares with South Korean great Cha Bum-kun.Fixtures (all times GMT)FridayFreiburg v Borussia Moenchengladbach (1830)SaturdayRB Leipzig v Paderborn, Bayer Leverkusen v Bayern Munich, Eintracht Frankfurt v Mainz, Fortuna Dusseldorf v Hoffenheim (all 1330), Borussia Dortmund v Hertha Berlin (1630)SundayWerder Bremen v Wolfsburg (1130), Union Berlin v Schalke (1330), Augsburg v Cologne (1600)Share on: WhatsApp Jadon Sancho calls for justice following the death of George Floyd in the United StatesBerlin, Germany | AFP | Bayern Munich face one of the final obstacles in their hunt for an eighth consecutive Bundesliga title this weekend as players in Germany contemplate staging collective protests following the death of George Floyd in the United States.The German FA said on Wednesday footballers including Jadon Sancho who paid tributes to Floyd during last week’s games would not be punished, with calls since growing from several Bayern players for further action.“Sport always was and is able to share the power, to try to show to the world we are a community and that we are strong together,” said Bayern forward Thomas Mueller, ahead of Saturday’s game with Bayer Leverkusen.“We have so many different people in the sport, it doesn’t matter the colour. Sports have the power to bring people together to speak with one tongue.”Joshua Kimmich revealed Bayern players have talked about using their platform to reinforce their stance against racism, while World Cup winner Jerome Boateng urged more famous white sportspeople to add their voices to the chorus of outrage over Floyd’s death.Floyd, a black American man, died after a white policeman kneeled on his neck for several minutes. His death has sparked several days of protests in US cities, some of which have turned violent amid accusations of further police brutality used against demonstrators.– ‘We can do much more’ –“Our voices carry, we have a platform and we touch many people,” Boateng, whose father is from Ghana, told Deutsche Welle radio.“All white sportspeople who don’t speak out are obviously not racists, but of course it is desirable that they also use their notoriety for this cause. Many do it, but I think we can do much more.”With five games remaining Bayern hold a seven-point lead over Borussia Dortmund, whose players took a knee during Thursday’s training session in support of the Black Lives Matter movement.Dortmund coach Lucien Favre said he “stood 100 percent behind” Sancho’s call for justice although a number of players including the England winger courted controversy after they were pictured without masks alongside a hairdresser.At the other end of the table, Werder Bremen have slipped back deep into relegation trouble after a 3-0 defeat to Eintracht Frankfurt on Wednesday greatly complicated the task of maintaining their top-flight status.The loss was all the more disappointing for the four-time champions after a 1-0 win at Freiburg on May 23 had given them hope. Werder are now three points from safety and need a positive result at home against Wolfsburg on Sunday.“That was a setback but definitely not a knockout,” Werder coach Florian Kohfeldt said after the Eintracht defeat. “It has become harder but it’s not impossible. We all knew that it would be hard, but we’re going to give it a go.”One to watch: Marcus Thuram
ARCADIA, Calif. (April 1, 2015) – A competitive field of nine 3-year-old colts and geldings are set to go in Saturday’s $200,000 Echo Eddie Stakes at 6 ½ furlongs as part of the Golden State Series for California bred or sired horses.One of two Triple Crown nominated horses in Saturday’s Echo Eddie, Gimme Da Lute could make it an even bigger day for Hall of Fame trainer Bob Baffert should he win. Second by a nose in his first outing on Jan. 31 at Santa Anita in a maiden special weight, he broke his maiden in his second attempt on Feb. 21 in a state-bred maiden special weight going 6 ½ furlongs.The bay colt by Midnight Lute is out of the Proud Citizen mare, Casino Gold and is owned by Karl Watson, Mike Pegram and Paul Weitman. He is 2-1-1-0 overall with earnings of $48,160.Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer sends out Chief of Staff Saturday and reunites him with Mike Smith. A first time starter at Emerald Downs in September for then trainer Michael Puhich, the Triple Crown nominated Chief of Staff first raced and won for Hollendorfer in a Jan. 24 maiden special weight that he won by 5 ¼ lengths.The colt by Majestic Warrior out of the Awesome Again mare Morning Jewel is 3-1-1-1 overall with earnings of $46,218.Trainer Peter Miller will send out Richard’s Boy for the first time Saturday, an Idiot Proof gelding out of a Cee’s Tizzy mare, Marissa’s Joy who is undefeated in three lifetime starts. In his only turf try, Richard’s Boy won a down the hill allowance turf race March 13 for then trainer Herb Bacorn and won it gamely, fighting back at the rail. He will return to dirt on Saturday and will retain the services of jockey Fernando Perez.Richard’s Boy is owned by Rockingham Ranch and is 3-3-0-0 overall with earnings of $105,240.Grazen Sky comes into Saturday off of two wins and has never been worse than second in four lifetime starts. Second in his first two races, maiden special weights, going 5 ½ furlongs, he has won his last two in-a-row. He will again be ridden by leading-rider Rafael Bejarano who was up in his most recent score, a 6 furlong allowance March 5, in which he was favored at odds of 4-5.He is trained by Steven Miyadi and owned by Nicholas Alexander and is 4-2-2-0 overall with earnings of $91,800.The complete field for the Echo Eddie Stakes, to be run as the third race on an 11-race card Saturday, in post position order with jockeys and weights: Rocko’s Wheel, Joe Talamo, 118; Pay the Fine, Mario Gutierrez, 116; McHeat, Flavien Prat, 118; Richard’s Boy, Fernando Perez, 120; Run Like a Million, Kent Desormeaux, 118; Chief of Staff, Mike Smith, 118; Grazen Sky, Rafael Bejarano, 120; Over Par, Elvis Trujillo, 116; Gimme Da Lute, Martin Garcia, 118.–30– COMPETITIVE FIELD OF NINE SOPHOMORE COLTS AND GELDINGS SET TO COMPETE IN GOLDEN STATE SERIES EVENT