Three undertrial prisoners facing charges of dacoity escaped from police custody while being taken to Silvassa from Thane Central Jail in Maharashtra for a court hearing, an official said on Thursday. The accused, Jairam Dalvi (21), Ganesh Dalvi (20) and Martin Madha (30), were arrested last year by Silvassa police in the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and subsequently lodged in the Thane prison, senior police inspector Vilas Chowgule said. On Tuesday, while the prisoners were being taken for a court hearing in Silvassa, they complained of nausea and got down from the escort van on Mumbai-Ahmedabad highway near Vasai in Palghar where they gave police the slip, he said. The escort team later approached Valiv police here and lodged an offence against the accused under Indian Penal Code Section 224 (resistance/obstruction by a person to his lawful apprehension).The three prisoners were facing several cases of dacoity in Thane, Palghar, Mumbai and Gujarat, Mr. Chowgule said. A manhunt has been launched to nab the absconding accused, he added.
The tourism ministry is preparing a plan to set up 20 mega tourism parks across the country. It has already appointed a consultant to study the business model for setting up these parks, their locations and likely public-private partnerships.These self-contained parks will house hotels, food courts, adventure sports, entertainment avenues, convention centres and small markets.Under the proposed model, each tourism park will require 50 acres of land.An official said the idea behind these parks was to prolong the stay of a tourist, particularly from abroad, in a particular destination and provide them with all avenues for entertainment.Similar parks flourish in Singapore and the US, holidaying destinations popular with Indian tourists.The ministry will prepare a blueprint for setting up these parks and make funds available to the state governments, which will be the executing agencies. The government may have to provide land and related infrastructure, while investments will be made by private players.As international tourists are slowly returning to India after the global economic slowdown and Mumbai attacks, the government hopes to create better and hi-end facilities to hold their attention.
BRANDON, Man. – Manitoba’s New Democratic Party has suffered for years from a “toxic culture” of sexual harassment and bullying where victims have been afraid or unable to seek help, according to a review released at the party’s convention in Brandon.“The atmosphere was overly sexualized, sexist and misogynist, and there was often a different standard for women than there were for men,” Kemlin Nembhard, one of two commissioners who have been examining the issue, told some 200 delegates at the party’s annual convention Saturday.“The span of years that (people we talked to) have been or were involved with the party was really diverse, and yet the patterns in the work atmosphere, in the general culture and environment … were pretty consistent.”The Opposition party set up the commission earlier this year, after several women came forward with allegations they had been subjected to harassment and unwanted touching by former NDP cabinet minister Stan Struthers.One of them, Shannon Van Raes, alleged Struthers put his hand under her skirt and made sexual comments while she was a staffer. Another woman, Joelle Saltel-Allard said when she was a press secretary, Struthers put his hand on her knee and talked about sex acts he would enjoy.Struthers, who left politics in 2016, has rejected interview requests but issued a brief statement in which he apologized for any inappropriate behaviour.The commission’s report does not name any alleged victims or perpetrators, nor would the commissioners say how many people came forward, or how many alleged perpetrators there were. They would only say they had heard from former politicians, party workers at the legislature and others.Nembhard told the convention people told her they felt they had no choice but to put up with harassment and other inappropriate behaviour.“It was generally an atmosphere of fear and loyalty. Fear of certain senior staff members was noted … and then there was the atmosphere of loyalty at all costs (where) one must always remain loyal to the party to the exclusion of all else, regardless of what was happening.”The commission, which examined the party going back more than a decade, including the years when the NDP was in power, also found that:— There was a toxic atmosphere where inappropriate behaviour was enabled by key party members.— There was an “Old Boys club” where some people were excluded from decision-making.— There was pressure to take part in drinking and parties, and inappropriate sexual activity inside the legislative building.— Some women have left the party while others have decided not to enter political life.“If 50 per cent of the population are feeling isolated and can’t participate in the party, that really questions us as a democratic institution,” Nembhard said.The commission made several recommendations, including mandatory anti-harassment and human resources training for politicians and senior staff and a formal process to allow victims to come forward.NDP Leader Wab Kinew said he wanted to enact all the recommendations and the convention delegates voted to adopt them.“I’m apologizing both for the direct harm you experienced, but also for the environment that silenced your voices for too long,” Kinew told the crowd.Saltel-Allard said Saturday she was pleased with the report’s findings.“My goal with coming forward has always been to see change — to make sure no one else has to feel belittled, disempowered or harassed like I did, almost 8 years ago. And I can honestly say that my goal has been achieved!” she wrote on her Facebook page.“Thank you to the Manitoba NDP for finally listening to my story. I can attest that the report findings are accurate.”Kinew took over as party leader last September and has tried to show he has changed in terms of his personal treatment of women.He wrote misogynistic and homophobic lyrics as a rapper more than a decade ago, and later wrote misogynistic social media messages, including one where he asked whether fat women carried avian flu.Kinew also continues to face accusations from a former girlfriend that he assaulted her in 2003. The charge was stayed and later dropped, and Kinew has denied assaulting the woman. But in an interview with The Canadian Press last fall, she stood by her allegation that Kinew threw her across a living room.
Kolkata: The Japanese government on Monday announced a donation of some Rs 22 lakh ($31,800) to the Rabindra Bharati Museum here in a bid to strengthen historical and cultural ties with India. To refurbish the Japan Gallery of the museum, a MoU will be signed between the Consul General of Japan in Kolkata, Masayuki Taga, and the Vice Chancellor of Rabindra Bharati University, Sabyasachi Basu Ray Chaudhury, on Wednesday. The renovated and refurbished Japan Gallery in the Jorasanko Thakurbari campus of the University will go a long way to commemorate Rabindranath Tagore’s contribution in the Japan-India relations, the statement issued by the University said. Tagore, Asia’s first Nobel Prize recipient, visited Japan in 1916, 1924 and 1929, renewing relations between the countries as India’s leading cultural ambassador.
Kolkata: Howrah City Police have nabbed seven persons and seized many weapons on Monday night from two separate places.Two cases have been initiated at the Nischinda police station and Chatterjeehat police station in this regard. According to the police, on Tuesday night sleuths from Nischinda police station got a tip-off about a few persons, who were seen roaming suspiciously in the area. The police approached them, these persons tried to escape from the area on a yellow taxi and a private car. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari PujaBut, before they could give a slip to the police, sleuths surrounded them. All of them were immediately detained. During frisking of their vehicles, police found like one sword, bamboo sticks, one dagger, one country-made shooter firearm and two live ammunition mark 8 mm. All six of them immediately arrested under IPC Sections 399 (making preparation to commit dacoity), 402 (assembling for purpose of committing dacoity), and 25 (possessing of fire arms) and 27 of the Arms Act (punishment for using arms). Also Read – Bengal civic volunteer dies in road mishap on national highwayIn another case on Monday, sleuths from Chatterjeehat police station arrested a person identified as Saniar Hossain Khan alias Lalu from Dumurjala Ring Road area and seized one firearm loaded with one round of live ammunition. It is suspected that he might have been targeting someone over some issues. He has been booked under IPC sections of 25(i)(a) Arms Act (manufactures, sells, or exposes or offers for sale or transfer, or has in his possession for sale any arms or ammunition) and 27 Arms Act (punishment for using arms).
Wayanad/Alathur: Launching a blistering attack on Narendra Modi, Congress Chief Rahul Gandhi said all that the Prime Minister “does is tell lies and steal from the poor people.”Gandhi, who addressed three election rallies in his Wayanad Lok Sabha constituency, spread over the districts of Wayanad, Malappuram and Kozhikode and campaigned in Thirthala in Palakkad district, attacked Modi and RSS and touched on corruption. “All the PM does is tell lies and steal from the poor people. Also Read – Uddhav bats for ‘Sena CM’Six airports were given to his friend Adani on the day the Pulwama attack took place. And he (Modi) says they were fighting black money. Modi said demonetisation was to fight black money, but it destroyed the Indian economy. Fifty lakh people lost their jobs after demonetisation,” the Congress chief said while winding off his campaign at Thrithala this evening. All praise for Wayanad, the second constituency from where Gandhi is contesting for which he was attacked by Modi and BJP, Gandhi said he wanted to represent the remote district as the “beautiful place” symbolises different ideas and cultures. Also Read – Farooq demands unconditional release of all detainees in J&KAddressing a rally in Nagpur last week, BJP president Amit Shah had chided Congress president Rahul Gandhi for selecting his second seat in north Kerala, saying “when a procession is taken out there, it is difficult to make out whether it is India or Pakistan.” Shah was referring to the IUMLs green flags during Rahul Gandhis road show in Wayanad on April 4 after filing his papers. Gandhi also said the saffron party was arrogant and believed that they can re-define Indian history. “Only the Indian people can define, decide about the country. It does not matter that Uttar Pradesh is much bigger than Nagaland. The voice of all Indians matter. This is the fight that is taking place. Why do these people want to define India ?. The entire goal to re-define India is to steal from India. The entire idea is to create two Indias. One India for the Ambanis, Adanis, Nirav Modis, Mehul Choksies, Vijay Mallyas and one for others”, Gandhi said lashing out at the Prime minister. He also said poor farmers who took meagre loans of around Rs 20,000 were behind bars for non-repayment while the rich who availed loans over Rs 35,000 crore were walking free. Continuing his tirade against Modi and the RSS, Gandhi said issues of Kerala should be decided by the people and not by Modi or the RSS chief. In the three rallies in Wayanad, Gandhi tore into the BJP-led NDA government and said the saffron party was only interested in imposing its ideology on people of the country. “Who is Mohan Bhagwat to teach us about culture and history? Kerala should be run by the people of Kerala. This is the same sentiment in state after state,” he said.
Former Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis played eight seasons in the NFL. Credit: Courtesy of TNSOne of the most decorated linebackers in the history of the Ohio State football program has retired from the NFL.James Laurinaitis, who played for the Buckeyes from 2005-2008, played in the NFL for eight seasons — seven years for the St. Louis Rams and last season with the New Orleans Saints.Throughout his NFL-tenure, Laurinaitis totaled 869 tackles, 16.5 sacks and picked off 10 passes. A two-time Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and 2007 Butkus Award winner, Laurinaitis was selected by the Rams with the 35th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.Laurinaitis became the Rams all-time leader in tackles in 2015 with 852.pic.twitter.com/6kwiNi6UzM— James Laurinaitis (@JLaurinaitis55) April 11, 2017
Harry Redknapp is feeling very optimistic over England’s World Cup prospects due to the fact that there are no “outstanding teams” at the tournamentThe Three Lions secured a convincing 2-0 win against Costa Rica on Thursday at Elland Road with Marcus Rashford scoring a spectacular 25-yard strike to open the scoring before substitute Danny Welbeck sealed the victory by heading in the second goal.Despite the upcoming World Cup featuring the likes of Spain, Brazil and champions Germany, Redknapp is certain that this summer’s tournament holds no clear winner and feels that even the young and inexperienced England squad may be able to capitalise on this and secure an unexpected title.“We’re going to win it, let’s go for it,” said Redknapp, according to talkSPORT.“Don’t start talking about getting out of the group and all that, let’s have a go!Crouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“There are no outstanding teams in this year – it’s wide open.“I couldn’t pick a winner; Brazil, Spain, Germany…I don’t think any of them are where they have been in the past.“So why can’t we do a miracle?“It’s happened before, it can happen again.”England will begin their World Cup campaign against Tunisia on June 18.
Additional crews were added, the local Yukon Fire crew has joined the three other crews in this critical area of the fire. Saarloos: “Crews will work together today on their continued mission of protecting the community of Sterling by mopping up, securing and monitoring fireline on the southwestern edge of the fire.” Facebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享Management of the Swan Lake Fire, burning in the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, will transition to an incoming Type 2 Alaska incident management team. Sarah Saarloos with DOF: “Fire personnel will be transitioning the Incident Command from the Division of Forestry Kenai-Kodiak Unit in Soldotna to Sterling Elementary School this morning. Expect to see more fire personnel on the Sterling Highway while they complete this move and more presence in Sterling in future.” This move to a Type 2 team increases the capacity of each division of staffing. More personnel assigned to this fire provides for a comprehensive strategic plan going forward and adds capacity in anticipation of the shift in weather back to drier days, according to a release from the Division of Forestry. The cloudy day on Sunday allowed firefighters on the 12,782 acre Swan Lake Fire to make good progress. The southwestern firelines nearest the community of Sterling were further strengthened and widened as crews strategically tied work with the existing pipeline right-of-way clearing. Motorists are still urged to yield to fire apparatus entering the Sterling Highway and to adhere to traffic signage staged near miles 82 and 92. For more details contact the Division of Forestry Public Information office at 907-260-4262, visit kpboem.com orinciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6387/
Khaleda ZiaAs jailed BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia declined to take treatment at the government’s facilities, authorities may consider her admission at a private hospital if a decision is made as to who will bear costs.Her Bangladesh Nationalist Party on Tuesday said it will bear the expenses required for treatment of the former prime minister at private United Hospital.Saying this, BNP standing committee member Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain urged the government to take Khaleda Zia to the United Hospital in the city’s Gulshan area, without any delay.”Khaleda Zia has fallen seriously ill as the government has not taken adequate measures for her treatment,” he told a press conference at the party’s Naya Paltan central office.After visiting Khaleda Zia in jail on Saturday, member of 4-member personal physicians, FM Siddique told newsmen that Khaleda Zia suddenly fell down on 5 April.She might have suffered a mild stroke, the physician said.Since then, BNP has been demanding that Khaleda Zia be admitted to United Hospitla for her treatment.Already, the family of Khaleda Zia sent a letter to the home minister seeking the ministry’s permission for her treatment at the United Hospital, reports UNB.Shamim Iskander, younger brother of Khaleda Zia, submitted the letter to the home ministry on Tuesday.He mentioned in the letter that that all the expenses of her treatment will be borne by him.Inspector general (Prisons) brigadier general Syed Iftekhar Uddin earlier on Monday said it would require a decision from higher authorities to admit Khaleda Zia at a private hospital.”So Khaleda Zia will be taken to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) on Tuesday,” he then said.However, Khaleda Zia declined to go to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU).The IG prisons had also said if BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia is admitted to a private hospital, a decision should be taken as to who would bear the cost. BNP leader Mosharraf warned that the consequence would not be good should the treatment of Khaleda Zia be delayed for political vengeance.Khaleda Zia has been kept at an abandoned building of former jail in the city’s Nazimuddin Road area, since her conviction in a graft case on 8 February.