Former Ohio State linebacker James Laurinaitis played eight seasons in the NFL. Credit: Courtesy of TNSOne of the most decorated linebackers in the history of the Ohio State football program has retired from the NFL.James Laurinaitis, who played for the Buckeyes from 2005-2008, played in the NFL for eight seasons — seven years for the St. Louis Rams and last season with the New Orleans Saints.Throughout his NFL-tenure, Laurinaitis totaled 869 tackles, 16.5 sacks and picked off 10 passes. A two-time Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and 2007 Butkus Award winner, Laurinaitis was selected by the Rams with the 35th overall pick in the 2009 NFL Draft.Laurinaitis became the Rams all-time leader in tackles in 2015 with 852.pic.twitter.com/6kwiNi6UzM— James Laurinaitis (@JLaurinaitis55) April 11, 2017
Harry Redknapp is feeling very optimistic over England’s World Cup prospects due to the fact that there are no “outstanding teams” at the tournamentThe Three Lions secured a convincing 2-0 win against Costa Rica on Thursday at Elland Road with Marcus Rashford scoring a spectacular 25-yard strike to open the scoring before substitute Danny Welbeck sealed the victory by heading in the second goal.Despite the upcoming World Cup featuring the likes of Spain, Brazil and champions Germany, Redknapp is certain that this summer’s tournament holds no clear winner and feels that even the young and inexperienced England squad may be able to capitalise on this and secure an unexpected title.“We’re going to win it, let’s go for it,” said Redknapp, according to talkSPORT.“Don’t start talking about getting out of the group and all that, let’s have a go!Crouch: Liverpool could beat Man United to Jadon Sancho Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Peter Crouch wouldn’t be surprised to see Jadon Sancho end up at Liverpool one day instead of his long-term pursuers Manchester United.“There are no outstanding teams in this year – it’s wide open.“I couldn’t pick a winner; Brazil, Spain, Germany…I don’t think any of them are where they have been in the past.“So why can’t we do a miracle?“It’s happened before, it can happen again.”England will begin their World Cup campaign against Tunisia on June 18.
Dan Cohen AUTHOR The city of Concord for the second time in two weeks has postponed a meeting of the city council to discuss the selection of a master developer for the former Concord Naval Weapons Station in northern California, after the apparent suicide of the city attorney who had been investigating allegations that one of the two competing firms improperly lobbied the city.The city first postponed the council’s discussion late last month after Catellus Development Corp. requested the city investigate its accusations that Lennar Urban had violated the negotiating agreement both finalists had signed. Catellus also asked why city staff failed to recommend a preferred master developer as expected.At the time of his death last week, city attorney Mark Coon was preparing a report on his investigation. It is not clear if Coon finished the report or when the city plans to release his findings, reported the Contra Costa Times.While the city council’s five council members have said Lennar did not lobby them, Concord Mayor Tim Grayson last month returned $12,600 in donations to his state Assembly campaign from companies or individuals linked to Lennar. Kofi Bonner, president of Lennar Urban, vigorously defended his firm’s conduct after Catellus’ accusations came out.The city council had been scheduled to meet Oct. 15 to discuss the selection of a master developer; the city has not yet rescheduled that meeting.The reuse plan for the 5,046-acre weapons station site calls for residential, commercial and office use clustered around the North Concord BART station with greenways and parks separating neighborhood villages. Almost 70 percent of the property would be open space and recreational facilities.————Image Source
To the Residents of Wilmington,I urge all of you to vote on April 27th.I am voting for Suzanne Sullivan and Rob Fasulo to fill the two three-year Selectman (or Select Board) seats. This is a critical election for all Wilmington residents with three of the five positions open. The town needs Board members who possess strong leadership, critical decision-making and encourage transparency at every level of Town Hall. Rob and Suzanne check all those boxes for me.Excessive taxation of Wilmington residents is my personal hot-button. The website Zillow.com tracks tax history. From 2008 to 2018 our taxes increased by 75.4% to $7,941. Based on the answers given during the Candidates Night at WCTV.org (Free Cash), I was curious to see what our current Board of Selectman are paying in taxes, and I am disappointed to report that three of the four Board members are below the 2018 average single-family tax bill of $6,335.69. So, when your tax bill does not rise in proportion with the rest of the town, I see why you miss the point that taxes are too high. We need Board members who recognize that filling up the Free Cash coffers is not in the best interests of this town, especially when it is not being used to pay down the ever-rising $197.5M debt.If you know about the $84.9M debt that Wilmington owes the town workers retirement fund by 2040, and the additional $112.6M for Other Post-Employment Benefits “OPEB” then count yourself among the handful of people who realize that “over the next three decades an average family of four would have to pay more than $30,000 in taxes” according to the Massachusetts Municipal Association. Town Manager, Jeff Hull, feels that a $1M annual contribution is a generous allocation in our budget, even though our expenses for OPEB just increased $7.8M in one year. We need Board members who will fight for the town workers’ benefits and approve a budget that will give taxpayers a chance to meet the obligations that have been accumulating for decades.On April 27th I urge you all once again to vote for Suzanne Sullivan and Rob Fasulo.Geoffrey WoodLike Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedLETTER TO THE EDITOR: If You Want Change, Vote Fasulo & Sullivan For SelectmenIn “Letter To The Editor”LETTER TO THE EDITOR: New Resident Calls For Change, Supports Fasulo & Sullivan For SelectmenIn “Letter To The Editor”A VOTER’S GUIDE To Selectman Candidate Rob FasuloIn “Government”
Andrew SchneiderPresident Trump has called NAFTA, the North American Free Trade Agreement, a “job killer” for American manufacturers. It’s a message voters in the industrial Midwest seemed to buy. But with the U.S. now renegotiating the treaty with Mexico and Canada, we found that manufacturers here in Texas are becoming deeply concerned.Daniel Allford is one of those manufacturers. We talked with him on the floor of his factory, ARC Specialties, on Houston’s west side. Allford started the company in his garage in 1983.“My whole life, all I’ve ever done is build things,” said Allford. “When I was a kid, I built catapults, flamethrowers, steam engines, and I’ve always been a computer geek. So if you add manufacturing and computers together, you get robotics.”ARC Specialties now employs more than 50 people to build robots, largely for the oil and gas industry. The company sold few machines to Mexico or Canada its first decade. Then NAFTA came along.“It was quite seamless to me. All I knew was all of a sudden exports became easy and greater quantity. It fluctuates, but last year 30 percent of our business was overseas, and half of that was Canada and Mexico,” said Allford.Allford said those gains came when NAFTA eliminated tariffs on his products, making them cheaper for foreign buyers. So when President Trump threatens to pull the U.S. out of NAFTA if Mexico and Canada don’t agree to revisions, he’s aiming right at Allford’s bottom line. “So far, I can’t say that it’s affected me,” said Allford, “but I’m sure it will if tariffs are placed.”Allford is hardly alone in his fears. Jeff Moseley is CEO of the Texas Association of Business. He recently testified before a Senate subcommittee hearing on NAFTA in San Antonio.“Since 2006, Texas exports of goods to NAFTA signatories have grown 71 percent,” said Moseley. “An undermining of the tariff policies that have allowed that growth would have huge detrimental effects in most sectors of the Texas economy.”Governor Greg Abbott and Senator John Cornyn have made that point to President Trump often. But the message doesn’t seem to be having much effect. Stephen P. Vaughn, general counsel in the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative, testified at the same hearing.“Of course, there are Americans who benefit from NAFTA, and we want to avoid harming them,” said Vaughn. “But USTR must look at trade deals from the perspective of the country as a whole, and from that perspective, there are serious problems with NAFTA.” Vaughn said that over the past decade, the U.S. racked up a $500 billion trade deficit with Mexico and a $100 billion deficit with Canada.George Y. Gonzalez, a partner at the law firm of Haynes and Boone, said that may be true, but it misses the point.“Regional trade was at $290 billion in 1993 among the three countries. In 2016, it’s at $1.1 trillion,” said Gonzalez, arguing that jump in North American trade created more jobs than it cost. “It’s the very opposite of what the rhetoric is, in fact. The implementation of NAFTA has preserved jobs and has maintained a vibrant and competitive U.S. manufacturing position.”Daniel Allford at ARC Specialties said he doesn’t have to imagine what will happen to his sales if the U.S leaves NAFTA. “In the countries that NAFTA doesn’t cover – for example, in Brazil, there’s 40 percent tariffs on my equipment,” he said. “What this means is I have yet to sell a machine to a Brazilian company.”President Trump has set a deadline of March to wrap up the NAFTA talks. Any longer, and they risk bumping up against the Mexican presidential election and campaigning for the U.S. congressional midterms. X To embed this piece of audio in your site, please use this code: 00:00 /03:59 Listen Share
Kolkata: The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) has seized exotic birds which were smuggled from Bangladesh into West Bengal, an agency statement said today. Acting on a specific input, DRI officials intercepted a vehicle at a place along Kalyani Expressway near here and found three red and blue macaws, three eclectus parrots, eight pygmy falcons and seven white ducks, it said. The birds were found badly crammed up in plastic bags kept in the boot of the car, the statement said. Also Read – Heavy rain hits traffic, flights These birds were illegally brought into the country from Bangladesh through Indo-Bangla border in North 24 Parganas district, it said. The probe agency said it immediately contacted the office of the principal chief conservator of forests, West Bengal and also the director of Alipore zoo, Kolkata. The birds were handed over by the DRI to the zoo. In March this year, the agency had seized 214 Indian star tortoise in Kolkata. Less than a month back, two hollock gibbons, an endangered species under the Wild life Protection Act, 1972 and two palm civets, another endangered species, along with a variety of exotic birds, which had been smuggled into the country from Bangladesh seized by the DRI. “There is an urgent need to step up the fight against wild life crime, which has environmental, social and economic impact and a concerted effort is needed by all the law enforcement agencies in combating the same,” the agency said.
Once you buy precious jewellery, it’s essential to store your expensive pieces in the right manner to avoid losing the sheen of the metal. Remove your jewellery while doing household chores, says an expert. Jewellery should never be tossed into a drawer or on top of a dresser as that will scratch and damage it. Following are some tips to help you protect your ornaments:*Diamond jewellery: To clean your diamonds, use a good quality jewellery cleaning solution that is easily available in the market. You can also mix some ammonia and water to clean your diamonds at home. You should always remove your jewellery while doing household chores like cooking, cleaning, dish washing. Also Read – Add new books to your shelf*Gold jewellery: If proper care is not taken, gold can lose its sheen and can become dull. Always clean your gold jewellery with a mild detergent, lukewarm water and a soft cloth. It is always advisable to keep your gold chains and bracelets in separate boxes as they can get entangled easily. Gold should be removed before diving into a chlorinated swimming pool as chlorine has a very harsh effect on gold. The chemical can weaken it.*Pearl jewellery: Just as the sun’s harmful rays can damage our skin, light and heat can affect a coloured gemstone’s durability and colour. Over time, and in excess, they can also fade or damage some gemstones, pearls and other delicate materials such as ivory which will bleach under extreme exposure to light. Always clean your pearls gently with a damp cloth, dry them off and store them in an airtight container. Never use plastic pouches to store your pearls, rather keep your pearls in a pouch that has soft lining. Always wear your pearl jewellery only after applying make-up. Also Read – Over 2 hours screen time daily will make your kids impulsiveKeep your pearls away from perfumes, make-up and hairsprays as they can cause discolouration. Never use baking soda or bleach to clean them. Do not swim when you are wearing pearl jewellery as chemicals in the water can destroy your precious pearls.*Silver jewellery: Exposure to chemicals can damage or discolour silver. Never wear them while swimming or doing household work.To clean your silver jewellery, use a phosphate-free detergent or just soap water. Rinse it off and wipe it with a soft and clean cloth. Never store your silver jewellery with any other metal as it tends to tarnish faster.
With her family by her side, state Rep. Holly Hughes took her oath of office Tuesday to represent the families and businesses of the Muskegon County.Michigan Supreme Court Chief Justice Stephen Markman administered the oath while Rep. Hughes’ husband Rick, daughter Morgan and nephew Chandler Breit joined her for the Capitol ceremony.“This is an honor given to me by the residents of the 91st District,” said Rep. Hughes, R-Montague. “My first priority will always be to families and businesses in my home district. Although we have a lot of work to do in Lansing, my focus will continue to be on jobs for our hometown. In fact, our next Veterans Jobs Fair is already scheduled for May 20. I will continue to work every day and with every vote for our communities to make today and the future better in the Muskegon County region.”Rep. Hughes encourages residents with concerns or questions pertaining to state government to contact her Lansing office. Legislative assistants Justin Malek, a Muskegon County native, and Eric Dean are ready to assist district residents.Residents can contact Rep. Hughes’ Lansing office toll free at (877) 633-0331, via email at HollyHughes@house.mi.gov, and by mail at N-1195 House Office Building, Lansing, MI 48909.“We look forward to working for everyone in the 91st District over the next two years,” Rep. Hughes said. “We’re here to help.” 13Jan Rep. Hughes renews commitment to Muskegon County region Categories: Hughes News,News