The head of a three-member United Nations team dispatched to the Middle East in response to the unfolding crisis there arrived today in Beirut as an “act of solidarity” with the Lebanese people bearing a call from Secretary-General Kofi Annan for the protection of civilians, support for Lebanon’s Government and the release of all those held captive.“I have come to Lebanon as the head of this United Nations mission as an act of solidarity with the people of this country and the region, who have suffered untold misery as a result of this escalating conflict,” Vijay Nambiar told reporters following a meeting with Lebanese Prime Minister Fuad Siniora.As efforts to defuse the crisis continue, he stressed three major points: “My first call is for the protection of civilians and civilian infrastructure, which must be respected by all parties,” he said.“Enough innocent people have been killed. No more innocent life must be lost.”Secondly, he emphasized that the UN supports the Lebanese Government and Prime Minister. “We support the call for a ceasefire and their aim of exercising full authority over the entire country.”Mr. Nambiar’s third point centred on “the release of the captives as part of a solution to this conflict.”The head of the three-member delegation, which includes also Alvaro de Soto and Terje Roed-Larsen, concluded his opening statement with a direct pledge to Mr. Siniora: “Mr. Prime Minister, we are with you and the people of this country and region at a time of grave crisis,” Mr. Nambiar declared. “We plan to meet further with you.” After that meeting, the team met with the Speaker of the Parliament, Nabih Berri. Mr. Nambiar told reporters after that the meeting had been “extremely productive” and that team members looked forward to working with Mr. Berri.“We hope he will play an important role in resolving the escalating conflict and in defusing the crisis,” Mr. Nambiar said.
Premium pay TV channel Starz renews deal to get Sony movies through 2021 LOS ANGELES, Calif. – Premium pay TV channel Starz said Monday that it has renewed its agreement to carry movies from Sony Pictures through films hitting U.S. theatres in 2021. The deal, which was seen as a must-win for the channel, comes two months after Netflix snatched future Disney movies from Starz.The deal will extend Sony’s relationship with Starz by five years, giving the channel access to major Hollywood releases into the future. Disney movies released in 2016 and beyond will play on Netflix’s streaming service instead of Starz.Analysts speculated that Starz is paying anywhere from $250 million to $400 million per year, an increase from the estimated $200 million it is paying Sony currently.Starz CEO Chris Albrecht said in a securities filing, “we believe the terms are consistent with other recent agreements between traditional premium TV networks and major Hollywood studios,” without elaborating.The wording suggested Starz was paying more than $200 million annually, but less than $350 million a year, which is what Netflix is estimated to pay Disney.Netflix isn’t considered a “traditional” pay TV network, but its service, at $8 a month, is seen as increasingly competing with premium pay TV channels such as HBO, Showtime and Starz, which cost $15 a month.Starz had 21 million subscribers as of the end of September. Netflix has 27 million subscribers at year-end.Both Netflix and Showtime were bidders for the movies, according to a person familiar with the matter who wasn’t authorized to comment publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.Last month, Netflix Inc. CEO Reed Hastings told analysts on a conference call he was interested in going after Sony movies. “Our appetite is just like it was for Disney, it’s strong,” he said. However, he added that “there is no specific piece of content that we must have.”Disney content was seen as more important for Netflix, which is raising the profile of its children’s programming and has a devoted kids audience.In comparison, Sony has put big-budget, popular movies in theatres including “The Amazing Spider Man,” ”Zero Dark Thirty” and “Men in Black 3,” and has a stronger focus on movies rated PG-13. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email by Ryan Nakashima, The Associated Press Posted Feb 11, 2013 2:12 pm MDT